Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What Was I So Afraid Of?

I’m not sure why, but for so long I was fearful of making my own pie crusts; the task had always seemed intimidating to me. One day, not too long ago when when my husband was out of town and couldn't make one for me, I refused to buy the icky, frozen, store bought crusts or the “better” frozen, "natural", super expensive crusts from my local natural market. It was time to get the Cuisinart out and get over my fear. It was time to get a lesson on pie crusts from my pastry chef husband. I was eager to serve a better crust to my family and save a boatload of money, too. Here’s what I've learned…it's easy! 


Pie Crusts


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
11 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
5 tablespoons cold water, plus more as needed


Directions:

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a food processor or in a mixing bowl. Pulse the machine on and off (or cut the ingredients together with two knives) until the mixture is crumbly.

Add the water and pulse (or toss with a fork) until the mixture starts to clump together. Gather it into two balls, sprinkling them with a few more drops of water if needed. Flatten the mixture slightly into two disks, wrap them in plastic, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling them out.

*This recipe makes two pie crusts. If you're only using one, freeze the other for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment