Tuesday, September 10, 2013

French Toast

What better way to enjoy your aging (if it lasts more than 2 days, that is) challah bread than to make delicious French Toast?


This morning I whipped out my cast iron pan and put it on low heat. I whipped an egg in a shallow dish and sliced two thick pieces of bread to soak up the egg. I don't add milk to my egg, though my pastry chef husband does to make the egg mixture more of a "custard". I do, however, grate a little nutmeg on the top of one side of the bread. In went a pat of real butter and then went the bread. I cooked it on both sides, medium-low heat to get maximum crispiness. Of course, I swirled it with a little real maple syrup. If you just use a little maple syrup, and that's all you really need, it's worth the few extra cents. It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment